You tried to put me in a time out yesterday. You have tried this a few times before, actually. You are so very serious. You tell me NO and to SIT DOWN. And you point to the exact spot where you'd like me to carry out my punishment. Nice try, buddy ;p During church camp I threw your ball after you told me not to (I was trying to make you hurry up and get back to our cabin, sorry) and in an exasperated NO MOMMY, you gave me the dirtiest look and said SIT DOWN. The way you said it and they way you moved your hand (flat handed like "stop" and then I point to where you need to sit) was just like me. I couldnt help but laugh. That memory will be in mind forever, I assure you. Your wife will hear this story many times, just so you know.
This week you told me to "kick the ball" and this morning you said "see your eyeball" pointing at the make up on my eyes. I dont even know where you heard eyeball but it works. I am so impressed with the phrases you create and how hard you try to make sentences. You are becoming quite the chatterbox.
I know most of my stories about you are sweet little happenings but you can be a trouble maker sometimes. You test your limits, and my patience. Temper tantrums in the middle of stores (lying down on the filthy floors of Target for example), running away from me (on purpose), and hitting me after you get in trouble for hitting me are signs that the "terrible twos" are here to stay. But darn it Owen, you are so cute when you apologize and I hate making you feel sad. But the hitting has to stop dude, just sayin'.
Bryce bit you again. I talked to Kathy about every thing until I felt like I said everything a mom should say and made sure it wouldnt happen anymore. I then talked to Bryce. I was so angry at him. I know he isnt even 2 yet and that he doesnt REALLY know what he is doing, but you are my SON. You are my BABY. Anyone that messes with you better be ready to mess with your mama. When I went to pick you up he walked by me and I said, "Don't look at me Chomper, we arent friends." Dramatic, I know. Anyway, I brought you two together, you showed him your bite mark and I asked him if he did it. He looked at me fearfully. I explained that YOU (Bryce) DO NOT BITE. I told him it wasnt nice and that it hurts. I used my teacher/mom stern look and deepened my voice. I probably used the exasperated tone too since thats my thing. He started to get upset. Lip quiver and everything. Part of me wanted to say BOOOYAHHH! You know, make it sting a little. But the other part of me, not Owen's mom but just a mom, wanted to hug Bryce and explain everyone makes mistakes. I wanted to tell him this is just a phase and he wont have that vampiric impulse anymore because he will have words instead. It was a tough internal banter in my mind, I tell you. I had you hug him and I told him you two were friends. He said NO and didnt hug you back. I was SO mad. I had to remind myself that he's just a kid. I had to remind myself that this is just 1 of thousands of battles. But...I thought...THIS one I can fight for you. Not wanting to traumatize the kid, we left. You actually tried to hug him again, on your own, a few minutes later and he refused to hug you back. Did I just ruin your friendship? Had mom interfered too much? already? We went home. The next day on the way to school I talked about Bryce and how he is your friend. He's so nice, I said. He's silly. Be nice to Bryce. I walked in and smiled at the little chomper and he frowned at me. He remembered. I gave it a shot the next morning too. I stayed postive with owen (no more "No thank you Bryce" lessons)and discussed nice ways to play with Bryce. This time Bryce high fived me over his cereal bowl and you laughed. You sat next to Chomper, I mean Bryce, and hung out there while I unpacked Molly's things and left.
This Mommy stuff is hard. I am trying to figure it out as quickly and best I can, Owen. I apologize in advance for my own mistakes and my own battles.
love you


No comments:
Post a Comment